EVE Online’s eleventh Alliance tournament has been officially announced, and there are some changes this year. No longer will there be qualifying rounds, the format moves to a double elimination format. The tournament will take place over the course of three weekends as opposed to four, and finally, starting with the second weekend of the tournament team captains can ban ship types before a match. When a ship is banned, neither team can use it in competition.
The tournament is also looking for commentators, who will be flown out to Iceland for the finals.
Full text below.
The 11th Alliance Tournament will be kicking off on July 20, 2013. While we like to keep things nice and simple like that here in the Tournament Team, a few more announcements regarding this year’s Alliance Tournament are in order because we are changing a few things.
Firstly, we will do away with the usual format of qualifying rounds and group stages and go for a double elimination bracket format from the start. This raises the stakes significantly for all participants as all matches will matter!
Secondly, Alliance Tournament XI will run over three weekends instead of four as has been the common practice.
Thirdly, we will be introducing bans into the Alliance Tournament from the second weekend onwards. Team captains will ban out two ship types each before the match starts so that neither team can field that specific ship type in the match. The effect of the bans will be the same as the New Eden Open, while the format will become a 1 – 2 – 1 type rather than the 1 – 1 – 1 – 1 that we saw in the NEO. With this added to the mix, matches will be more varied and exciting.
Lastly, to fly with an alliance in the Alliance Tournament XI you will need to have been a member of that alliance from downtime this morning, at 11:00 UTC May 15th. Each alliance may only field one team.
There will be future Dev Blogs in the coming weeks which cover the rules, broadcast schedule and sign up details, so stay tuned! For those who missed the previous ones – the matches from Alliance Tournaments IX and X are available on CCP’s YouTube channel.
EVE TV’s Player Commentator Team
We will once again be opening up the application process for players who would like to be PVP commentators. These elite players are handpicked by us to fly out to Iceland for the tournament finals played over the final two weekends, joining the team here at CCP HQ to help us run the live broadcasts.
As a commentator you’ll be on the set discussing the tournament, tactics, teams and talking with developers about EVE live on air. You’ll also take shifts in the commentary booth providing live commentary on the matches themselves. You need to know your PvP and you need to know how to keep on talking!
Alliance Tournament XI will take place over three consecutive weekends starting on Saturday, July 20 and ending with the grand finale on Sunday, August 4. Flights (from all Icelandair destinations) and accommodations are supplied by us. All you need is a little spending money.
So you’re interested? The next step is to check this short list and make sure you match what we’re looking for!
- Can you come out and play? Selected players will need to hold a valid passport (we will require scans to confirm this at a later stage) and be available to fly to Iceland on Wednesday, July 24 and return home on Monday, August 5.
- A sense of humor is a must: commentators will need to be sharp-witted, knowledgeable, presentable and comfortable with talking on camera and into a microphone. To increase your chances of getting through, we highly recommend submitting any pre-made or purpose filmed video you have of yourself (link to a YouTube clip!) as part of your application.
- You need to know your PvP: We don’t despise industrialists, mission-runners and miners but as this is a PvP tournament and you need to be well versed.
- You must be 21+ in order to apply.
If you are interested in taking part, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org by 23:59 UTC (Eve Time) on Sunday May 26, 2013 with the following information. Those lucky enough to be selected for the second round of eliminations must be available to attend voice chat interviews on Saturday, June 1, 2013. The chosen commentators will be announced by June 5, 2013.
- Character and real name.
- Date of birth.
- Nationality and current country of residence.
- Tell us about yourself, both in game and out. Remember what you’re applying for and sell yourself to that effect.
- Confirm you are available between the 24th of July to 5th of August to fly to Iceland. If you need to book time off work / school please don’t do it until we accept you; but please check that it is possible, if there is any doubt here please let us know.
- Remember your applying to be on TV! Include any multimedia you think shows you off, all of the people chosen for the last Tournament had sent in video clips/links to YouTube!
- Applications close on May 26, so get mailing!A final note: The Tournament from the perspective of a commentator is an amazing experience. You get to take part in a unique production, fly to Iceland, get a tour around the CCP office and chat to developers like almost no other players will ever get the chance to. But with great power comes great responsibility; planning and promotional shows take place during the weeks up to the final show and you may not be asked to fly to Iceland if you fail to take part or become unavailable during this time!
On behalf of the Tournament Team,
Source: Eve Online